Propane regulator guide
We've put together a handy video and guide which gives you a step-by-step guide on how to correctly and safely connect propane gas bottles to your appliances, with details of how to remove and replace regulators.
How to connect a Propane gas bottle
- Check that the valve hand wheel is off by turning it clockwise
- Remove the protective plug and leave it hanging (to replace later)
- Check the bullnose connection on the regulator for any damage before connecting
- Make sure the gas bottle connection is tight
- When you need gas, turn the valve hand wheel
IMPORTANT: This type of gas bottle has a female valve connection. Check the connection is clean and undamaged. Always use the correct size spanner and fully tighten.
How to disconnect a Propane gas bottle
- Turn the valve hand wheel off (clockwise rotation)
- Except for multi-bottle installations with a changeover valve, turn off the gas tap if it’s fitted to the appliance. Wait until the burner and pilot lights have gone out. For installations with a change-over valve, you only need to turn off the empty gas bottle
- Never remove the regulator (or connecting nut) with the bottle valve open
- Use a spanner to remove the regulator (or connecting nut – left hand thread)
- Replace the protective plug into the valve outlet
For more information on Propane gas, please read our ‘Using Propane safely’ PDF. Remember that we are available to answer any questions you might have, so please call our technical helpline on 01926 318 497 if you have any further queries regarding connecting or disconnecting gas regulators.