Grilled halloumi and mushroom kebab recipe
This fuss-free BBQ recipe is ideal as a BBQ starter or side dish to go alongside your BBQ meat dishes, or a great option for vegetarians at your BBQ party. The halloumi and mushrooms that make up this dish develop a fantastic texture when barbecued, and being marinated in lime, garlic and coriander, these kebabs are packed full of delicious rounded flavours that will wow your guests.
Preparation time: 10 minutes (plus 30 minutes marinating time)
Grill time: 10 minutes
- 250g halloumi cheese
- 8 closed cup mushrooms
- 1 pepper of your choice (deseeded)
- 1 red onion
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp coriander (chopped)
- The juice of 1 lime
- 1 garlic clove
- Black pepper to season
1) Cut the halloumi, pepper and red onion into pieces that are approximately 1 inch squared, and put to one side whilst creating your marinade
2) Create your kebab marinade by mixing oil, coriander, lime juice and a crushed garlic clove in a bowl with a large pinch of black pepper.
3) Stir in your cheese, pepper and onion pieces, and add your mushrooms whole.
4) Once you are happy that these kebab pieces are coated with the marinade, cover and leave in the fridge for approximately 30 minutes, or until you’re ready to BBQ them.
5) Thread your ingredients onto four skewers, trying to ensure an even combination of ingredients on each, then pre-heat your BBQ to a high temperature.
6) Place your kebabs straight onto the grill, and turn occasionally until you start to see charring around the edges, basting with any leftover marinade as you grill. After 10 minutes, take off the grill and serve immediately.
Try serving these tasty veggie kebabs on a fresh rocket salad or alongside a warmed pitta bread and houmous, squeezing over some fresh citrus juices for extra zing!