Cheddar cheese and bacon stuffed gourmet burgers
Stuffed burgers offer a great way to create unique and interesting flavour combinations. A burger press, makes it so incredibly easy to build stuffed burgers that it will become your go-to every time you make burgers.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Grill time: 10-15 minutes
Ingredients for basic burger:
- 900g mince beef
- 1 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp oregano, chopped
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- Salt & pepper, to taste
Ingredients for bacon and cheese stuffing:
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 200g mushrooms, chopped
- 2 tbsp onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 170g cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 tbsp BBQ sauce
1) Gently combine burger ingredients with your hands, being careful not to over mix. Form meat into balls slightly larger than a golf ball.
2) Oil all contact surfaces liberally – this keep meat from sticking to the burger press and grill.
3) Load a portion of seasoned beef into the oiled burger mold. Create the pocket for your burger toppings.
4) Gently fry bacon in a large fry pan until slightly brown. Drain off the fat, but leave 1 tbsp in the pan. Add the chopped mushrooms, onion and jalapeno pepper.
5) Continue to sauté until the vegetables are brown, but not crispy.
6) Remove from heat and allow to cool. Combine with grated cheese and BBQ sauce. Use 1 tbsp per burger.
7) Using a portion of meat, finish building your burger and oil the top liberally before inverting onto a cutting board and carefully removing the mold.
8) Preheat your barbecue to 400° and sear both sides for 3 minutes. Then move the burgers to either the warming rack or, if you have space, the ‘off’ side of you barbecue (indirect grilling). By doing so you will handle the burger less, and that makes it more likely to stay in one piece.
To ensure burgers are cooked, carefully use a thermometer to check it's hot throughout.
When cooked, let your burgers rest for 5 minutes before building. Enjoy!