This classic Italian recipe is a great way to serve aubergines. By layering them with Parmesan and mozzarella and then grilling them you get an absolutely moreish, scrumptious vegetable dish. Why not serve with grilled lamb chops or fish and a fresh green salad.
Preparation time: 20
Grill time: 15 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 aubergine, sliced ½ inch thick
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 20g of Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 225g pesto sauce
- 75g mozzarella cheese, grated
- Fresh basil (for garnish)
1) Preheat barbecue, brush griddle with olive oil and set on LOW.
2) Prepare aubergine by covering slices with coarse salt for 20 minutes.
3) Rub off salt with a paper towel and pat dry. This removes the bitterness of the aubergine.
4) Brush bottom of aubergine slices with a mixture of olive oil and garlic.
5) Place on griddle and cook for 8 minutes.
6) Turn slices over and spread top of each aubergine slice with a teaspoon of pesto.
7) Cover with diced tomatoes, mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese.
8) Brush bottom of aubergine slices with a mixture of olive oil and garlic.
9) Return to griddle and cook a further 5 - 7 minutes.
Garnish with fresh basil & serve with fresh salad leaves, bread rolls and tear and share with friends.