» Summary of Emergency Actions
Recommendations for emergency action in controlling and prevention of fire involving LPG.
- In the event of FIRE call the Fire Brigade
- The Fire Bridage can also help in dealing with other emergencies, including cooling vessels and the dispersal of LPG
- Establish an Exclusion Zone around the incident. Evacuate people from this to a safe location under cover, or shielded from incident plant.
» Damaged LPG plant or vessels
- Restrict access to the area, close available valves to isolate the plant and limit the pressure by spraying with water until the damage can be assessed.
» Unignited LPG Leaks
- Leaks may be identified by smell, noise or frost at the source
- Suspected leaks may also be detected by soapy water or a gas detector
- NEVER SEARCH FOR LEAKS WITH A NAKED FLAME
- Isolate the leak (in the case of portable of moveable plant, move to a safe place if possible)
- Ventilate the building/area
- For large leaks, assist depersal of LPG gas and protect vulnerable plant and areas with water sprays
» Ignited LPG leaks
- Cut off or reduce the supply of fuel, wherever possible
- If safe to do so, deflect or move any flame from impinging on vulnerable plant
- Before attempting to extinguish the flame, asses if the LPG will cause an explosion risk
» LPG vessels threatened by fire
- Keep exposed surfaces of the vessels with cool water (monitors and/or fixed deluge system)
- Move the vessels where this is an option and it is safe to do so
- Tackle fire and establish water curtain between it and vulnerable plant
» Tackling the incident
- Carefully assess before any approach
- Wear the right equipment, including clothing
- Ensure safe route of access and egress is available
- Approach any fire or escaping LPG from upwind
- Avoid coming into contact with the LPG, it can cause severe cold burns and saturate clothing which may subsequently be ignited.
- Any vessel involved in a fire may suddenly rupture. Change in the size of the fire, or noise from the PRV may be an indication. But there may be no warning.
- IF IN DOUBT DO NOT APPROACH